Cherry Beach was donated to Chikaming Township by the Warren Family in 1922. The Township has a unique opportunity to purchase and preserve a beautiful, undeveloped parcel of land immediately adjacent to Cherry Beach. The Cherry Beach Committee, a grassroots group of concerned citizens, has helped the Township raise funds and public awareness. This acquisition would protect nearly 3 acres of woods and increase the Park’s current lakefront by more than 2.5 times, from 253 feet to 657 feet. We have 7 miles of lakefront in Chikaming Township. Only 2% is public. This acquisition will protect this land from private development forever.

cherryBeach_map.jpg

The seller is asking more than $4 million. The Township has applied for a Michigan Department of Natural Resources Trust Fund grant (MNRTF) that, if awarded, will supply 75% of the purchase price. The final price will be determined by appraisals paid for by the MNRTF if we are awarded the grant. To even qualify for the consideration, we were tasked with raising the remaining 25% of the purchase price (or approximately $1.1 million) through pledges and other grants by a deadline of October 1, 2018.

Over the summer of 2018, the entire community joined our fundraising efforts and we have now met the required State match! In addition to raising more than $600,000 in pledges from generous individuals, local businesses and organizations, the Township pledged $175,000 and multiple foundation grants were applied for and awarded to the Cherry Beach Project.

If you missed being a part of this wonderful conservation effort and would like to join our list of supporters, you can still make a pledge to The Cherry Beach UNdevelopment Fund. We are very close to making this beautiful dream a reality and await the grant decision from the State of Michigan.